New "super" tram stop right at our front door!

Matt F

Can't wait!
No more having to wait to cross 2 roads in the morning and wait in the middle of the road in the rain and wind!

Chen

this mean we can catch tram outside the front door?
or we have to walk far up to powlett corner like now. I want tram out front, hope this how it is

Matt F

The tram-stop will extend between Powlett and Clarendon, so yes, you will be able to catch a tram directly outside our front door
BUT there will be a wire barrier stopping you directly accessing the tram stop from 166.
So unfortunately Chen, you will have to walk to Powlett and wait for a green "walk" light to enter the tram stop.

I agree with you, I wish we could just walk straight out from 166 to the tram, but the wire barrier is there to stop people trying to dangerously cross Wellington in traffic.

Last edited:

David

Just a pity that there will be a net loss of over 20 car parks (previously un-metered, non-permit) on Wellington Pde. Should make it interesting for friends/family to come and visit...

David

It's made it more difficult to use the underground carpark - getting in and out is now quite dangerous. And I'm still disappointed with the removal of all the on-street parking, especially at night.

Matt F

Tram stop is amazing, love the undercover seating, digital displays with ETA of next tram and the lighting at night.
Clearly the shear size of the tram stop is to cater for sport events at the MCG, the true test coming with big AFL games in 2016. The first big game is Round 1 Easter Monday March 28 Hawks vs Cats 3.20pm, and then the following Friday night Round 2 Magpies vs Richmond 7.50pm. Any volunteers to shoot some video of the tram stop out their window soon after the conclusion of the game when the stop will get really busy?

It's made it more difficult to use the underground carpark - getting in and out is now quite dangerous. And I'm still disappointed with the removal of all the on-street parking, especially at night.
I don't have a car, how has the tram stop made getting in & out more dangerous, David?
Yes, I agree with this one, my friends have always used George St. but it can be hard to find a car-park and apparently there are time limits in place. Would be interesting if others posted here on if losing the car spaces on Wellington Pde has affected them.

I'm sure Ismail doesn't appreciate losing his car parking right out front! Wonder where he parks now?
ismail.jpg

Last edited:

David

The carparks around George & Powlett Sts are now a lot busier - we have to go further afield to find a spot. But it also affects the ability of friends and family visiting to be able to park, especially overnight and on weekends when the car parking on Wellington Pde was at its most useful. I still don't know why it has to be a clearway after about 6 or 7pm out there now. Surely one lane of traffic into town at that time would suffice...

As for getting in and out, because the gate/driveway to the underground carpark is quite narrow, you kinda have to swing out a bit into the right lane to turn in, which can be a little dangerous. And again upon exiting, the corner is quite sharp, and the now narrower lanes don't help. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on this, especially if they're in bigger vehicles...