Lit cigarette butt discarded from window

s&t

Hi fellow residents,
I'd like to alert you to the danger of falling cigarette butts carelessly discarded from open apartment windows.
Last Thursday evening (6/9/12), a lit cigarette butt was thrown from a north facing apartment window. The flash of red hot sparks as it struck the ground was hard to miss.
It landed in the rear car park area, not far from the garbage bins and very close to where I was standing at the time.
It most likely came from apartment 707, as it was the only apartment with open windows at the time and was directly above where the butt hit the ground. Apartment 707 is a "city edge" managed apartment.
I post this here as a warning to people walking in the rear car park under the "drop zone" of open apartment windows.

Nikki

Hi S&T,
I have to confess that this was possibly my apartment 707 and I apologise. I do not smoke myself but had friends over on the Friday night and reluctantly allowed someone to smoke with an ashtray; however they may have thrown it over the edge. I am sorry for this, although it could not have occurred on Thursday as there was definitely no one smoking then but I probably had the windows open whilst cooking - perhaps on Friday night? Otherwise, I know that there is a strong smell of smoke in the corridor on most evenings on my level, so it could have been another apartment on level 7 if it was on a Thursday. By the way, my apartment is no longer a 'City Edge" apartment. Thanks!

s&t

Thanks Nikki, I really appreciate your honesty and sincerity in coming forward and explaining the situation.
Your right, we can't be certain what apartment it was dropped from, but I'm happier knowing you are aware of the dangers of dropped cigarette butts to people and property below.

I have a new born child who I reluctantly have to transport under the "drop zone" of the many north facing apartment windows. While being vigilant for dropped items, it is a very difficult task to spot falling items, and take evasive action if needed. A burning hot cigarette butt poses a huge risk to safety, especially to a child's face. The thought of a hot cigarette butt landing in my babies face (or worse, eye) is horrifying.

This story highlights the danger>> http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-by-cigarette-tossed-into-buggy-14704036.html (see picture below)
baby-burn.jpg

Please everyone be careful and do not discard hot cigarette butts, (or indeed any other item -I have seen coins, food & pizza boxes discarded - usually aimed at the pool) out your window. It is extremely dangerous and reckless, and of course, illegal.

(Nikki - Apologies for thinking your apartment was "City Edge", I saw an old outdated list, I have notified to have your apartment removed from that list.)

S&T