History of 166 Wellington Parade

John

Co-Investor at 166 and forum administrator
Staff member
The Cymyn, 166 Wellington Parade, East Melbourne - 1946
emvf0383_01.jpg
The Cymyn, 166 Wellington Parade, East Melbourne - 1946
Photo of house at 166 Wellington Parade taken in 1946. Shows large two storey house with timber arcaded verandah and timber balcony above and an octagonal turret with elaborate cement decoration beneath the eaves. Built c.1908 for William Gardiner Sprigg who called it The Cymyn. The photographer, Kev Franzi lived in the house in 1940s when it was a boarding house run by his mother.
Related content:
Journeys in time: The VPK - My Key to Adventure

Photographer:
Kev Franzi
Date of publication or creation:
History of item:
Used in 'Kev Franzi's Journeys in Time' in Photographic Trader, No. 109. [See VF 354]
Owner of original:
Kev Franzi
Copyright owner:
use unrestricted subject to acknowledgement
Year acquired:
Donor:
Kev Franzi
Date digitised:
2007-06-10

Source:
http://emhs.org.au/catalogue/emvf0383
(The East Melbourne Heritage Society)
Acknowledgement to Kev Franzi as producer and owner of original photo

Drew

Hi John,

I recently stayed with a friend in the 166 which I found quite a surreal feeling after spending time there some years ago, but if I relocate back to Melbourne the location and facilities of the '166' establishment quite interests me.

Just for a bit more information on to your post above, 166 and 176 Wellington Parade in its current form where built by the state government of Victoria and housed the Department of Agriculture until 1997 where my two of my immediate family worked. The building was sold and was converted in to what it is today.

For some interesting little bits and pieces written by ex Department staff about the building it can be found at http://www.vicdofaghistory.org/index.html. Also, the Channel 9 television series Halifax f.p used 166 just after the Department moved out for one or more episodes that starred Hugh Jackman.

emily

Hi Drew
Interesting info.
Does that mean Hugh Jackman might have spent some time in my bed-room ?
Mmmmmmm!

Drew

Hi Emily,

Quite possibly Mr. Jackman said in your bedroom, I take it you are a fan?

I was only discussing this with my relevitves last week after my stay at 166. The filmed the Halifax stuff on the MCG side of Level 10 or 11 they tell me, as it had blue carpet as this was where the Minister and Secretary of the Department sat. If you get a chance to see the full episode you will notice the foyers are very different along with the mid-70's office fitout. I have told the lifts I got stuck in in about 1995 where the same until recently.

Drew

Drew

Hey Guys,

I never ending up moving to 166 as I took a posting with the bank I work for in Sydney, maybe another time. But, I had the opportunity of borrowing a copy of those Halifax video I mentioned. I have got a few shots of it of the OLD 166 Wellington, Foyer, Offices, Powlett Mews, Hugh Jackman, etc..

Have a look at: http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/166Wellington/library/

John

Co-Investor at 166 and forum administrator
Staff member
Hi Drew,
I just caught up with your posts here, what a fascinating insight into the "old" 166, as the home of the Department of Agriculture and then briefly as the television set for Halifax f.p.
Thank-you so much for taking the time to post here and especially the video stills you created on photobucket.com.

Also there are many interesting references to 166 at the link you posted (http://www.vicdofaghistory.org/index.html)
I especially liked this one! Brave chap.

Mike Kinsella once went to the roof of 166 Wellington Pde to view construction progress of 176 next door which had reached equal height with 166. But he found the door to the stairwell had locked behind him when he had stepped out onto the roof. Trapped! It was a good story he had to share later about how he legged over the wall onto the roof of 176 and of the stares he had at his blue suit and no safety helmet, as he made his way slowly down to the footpath outside of 176.