Foxtel

Marcel

We have had difficulty obtaining all our foxtel channels due to the age of the transmitter in the building, hence we could not watch the olympics other than on channel 9. Anybody else frudstrated eith this and/or know how and how much an upgrade to this would be?

Matt F

I dont have foxtel so cant comment about paytv, but my free-to-air channels used to "break up" constantly. (My digital set top box is plugged into the wall antenna socket.) It was terrible a few months ago (some channels were unwatchable, e.g. whatever channel the block was one) but it is fine now. Maybe they fixed the free to air antenna? I think the foxtel reception is by a satellite dish - a different system to the free to air channels. (If it goes bad again, I will report back. Anyone else having trouble with free to air TV break-up??)
But it sux you pay for foxtel and cant watch all the channels. I mean, foxtel aint cheap. You ask how much an upgrade would be - Do you mean upgrading to a bigger satalite dish? Or maybe upgrading he signal by installation of a signal "booster" or amplification.
Have you reported the fault to the manager? Does anyone else have a problem with their foxtel?

Marcel

I remember the antenna issue. We did get that resolved as it was causing us some problems also. We can still watch pretty much all our Foxtel channels fine, it is just that for some reason, two channels and often the temporary ones, such as the Olympics, only work with newer set ups. We have reported it, but as renters our opinion means little to the body corporate who would need to pay for the upgrade.

Jackie

Hi guys,

Matt - which one of the points is the free to air antenna? We have a small indoor antenna pointing out toward the window which isn't quite doing the job.

We're having similar problems with Foxtel. We have just moved into the building, and when we tried to move our Foxtel account to the new apartment we were advised that there cannot be any more Foxtel connections at 166 Wellington until all of the wiring in the building is upgraded. Alternatively, we could pay $500 to $1500 to get just our apartment upgraded, but obviously the landlord wasn't too keen on that. We are waiting to hear from body corporate but it isn't looking good.

If anyone who has foxtel is leaving the building, please let us know!

Nikki

Hi Jackie,
I am very keen to get Foxtel too, and have tried many times to speak with Foxtel, the building manager and body corporate, but have not been successful. Don't hold your breath with the Body Corp as they were not much help and said there was nothing they could do. It's quite frustrating that we can't get it, so let me know if you figure out a way!

Thanks!

Matt F

Hi Jacqui,
This is my antenna socket in my unit, with my TV plugged into the left port, for free-to-air channels. - see picture below
I'm guessing the right port one is the Foxtel socket.
So why are you using your own antenna ? You should get a better picture if you use the buildings internal antenna (I say "should" - see my post above )

re getting foxtel, I've never heard of a limit to the number of "connections" a building could have, so I've learned something I guess.
If the body corporate is not willing to upgrade the system to allow new connections, perhaps new owners & tenants should be warned that "166 Wellington" is a foxtel free zone ... This could certainly drive rents down as you turn away people.

So it seems there are 2 issues with foxtel at 166 wellington pde -
1. limited connections and no new connections available (so no foxtel)
2. some channels not being available (e.g. London Olympics)
Good luck and sorting this out!

Attachments

• antenna.jpeg
    antenna.jpeg
    4.8 KB · Views: 4

Jackie

Hi Nikki,

There are a couple of other ways you can get Foxtel without using the cable wiring (aside of course from paying the $500 to $1500 yourself to get the apartment rewired).

The other ways are through Xbox 360 and the Telstra T-Box. Both of them stream TV using the internet. The downside is that:

1. For the Xbox, you need to buy the Xbox, then buy a yearly Microsoft Live Xbox subscription, then on top of that buy Foxtel on Xbox. You get less channels, the picture quality is not as good, and it ends up costing a similar amount per month to normal Foxtel (plus the added outlay for the subscription and the Xbox).

2. For the T-box, I'm pretty sure you need to be a paid up Telstra customer, and it costs a significant amount on top of the phone and broadband.

It would be so much easier if we could just get normal cable!

And thanks for that Matt, I will try it out.